Welcome to the pier surgery!. This is the start of several posts about my findings and struggles with the pier cms. Installation was easy (it came with the gemstone installation), setting up a blog a breeze and writing … well it’s not piers fault.
blog post comment timeout
One day ago I was confused by the fact that only one of my posts offered commenting to the outside world. Pier blogs only allow commenting for a defined period of time. The default setting is 2 weeks. You can change this by going to your blog and edit it. One of the textinput fields has a label “Comment timeout”. The first number is the amount of days it will let other people comment your post.
google and sitemaps
Seaside has this weird url parameters. Usually this would confuse the googlebot and the result wouldn’t be that great. To the rescue there comes the canonical specification in the html header. And pier has it integrated (at least mine has). The search results are really good. No need to interfere.
Google analytics is a great service if you are interested in web statistics of your site. For small web sites it is for free. Just go to google analytics and create a profile for your site. In the profile editor you can configure how google analytics should see your site. There is a setting with which you can get rid of url parameters. I added the _s, _k and _n parameter. Days later I discovered that there is still the link number (for the continuation) attached at the end. The real way to go you can read in the piercms tutorial on google analytics. This way you just get rid of all url parameters.
page title adjustment
While trying to set up my site “the right way” I discovered that every page title on this site always started with pier:. It took me a while to figure out that pier is the name of the pier kernel. Back then I accepted the default and never changed it. To change the name of the kernel you just need to open a workspace and evaluate
(PRKernel instanceNamed: 'pier') name: 'selfish.org'
update: Damien is right. I didn’t figure out how it works exactly. You can alter the title by doing what is described in the comment from Damien. The default setting is just that the title is composed by the kernel name and the structure title. This way changing the kernel name affected the title of the page. I didn’t like to have it front anyway. So I deleted the kernel name parameter to only show the structure title. Neat!